TikTok has been named as the fastest growing social media platform of all time. It is active in 154 countries and has one billion active users worldwide. Its fast-paced nature keeps users engaged for relatively long periods, with users spending an average of 52 minutes per day on the app. 90 percent of all TikTok users access the app daily. TikTok offers a brilliant opportunity for marketers to reach younger audiences around the globe, in a highly creative and playful environment. TikTok does not require huge budgets for video content creation either, as spontaneous content produced in ordinary surroundings has just as much as a chance of cutting through. Many TikTok videos have been filmed in bedrooms, car parks or gardens.
TikTok provides marketers with a level playing field when it comes to reach and engagement. Unlike social media platforms such as Instagram or YouTube, TikTok accounts with zero followers can get millions of views on a new video thanks to the viral nature of the algorithm. TikTok experiences higher engagement rates from the app’s followers than other social media platforms (Influencer Marketing Hub, 2019) – so marketers can achieve significant buzz with a carefully planned campaign using content that appeals to the app’s audience.
Advantages of TikTok for Marketing
- Large userbase: When it comes to demographics, TikTok’s user base is quite diverse.
- Best engagement rate: TikTok has the best engagement rates. The average engagement rate of micro-influencers on Instagram is 3.8%, on TikTok it’s as high as 17.9%.
- Increase your brand awareness: TikTok gives you the chance to go viral by creating engaging content that’ll capture your viewers’ attention.
- It elevates video marketing: TikTok not only gives you the chance to solely use video content but also leverage it through the addition of trending songs, effects, stickers, and relevant hashtags.
- Create a community: TikTok allows you to cultivate a community of followers which is an important because a community of followers is vital in creating brand loyalty and establishing a strong online presence.
· Better organic reach: TikToks algorithm is great. TikTok’s format of endless scrolling helps videos gain more exposure because it’s easy to go through content. The content uploaded doesn’t only appear to a company’s followers, but also the “For You” tab of thousands – sometimes millions – of users; therefore your brand is exposed to a wider audience, making it easier for them to discover you. This is particularly useful if you’re a smaller brand that’s looking to get off the ground through cost-effective methods, like organic content. This is a feature that platforms like Facebook and Linkedin don’t offer.
· When it comes to demographics, TikTok’s user base is quite diverse and has the best engagement rates out there, outperforming even the most used platforms such as Instagram. As average engagement rate of micro-influencers on Instagram is 3.8%, on TikTok it’s as high as 17.9%.
- Overall, TikTok offers brands and content creators the chance to achieve better organic reach than almost any other platform; making this another reason why you should use TikTok for your business.
Disadvantages of Tiktok for Marketing
- Video Only platform
- Generation Z users: 69 percent of TikTok users are 13- to 24-year-olds.
Effective TikTok Marketing Strategies
o Create TikTok videos
o Run TikTok ads
o Leverage TikTok influencer marketing
o Influencer marketing isn’t something new to marketers.
o Run hashtag challenges, giveaways, and contests Create their own TikTok channel and start to upload content and gain a following
o Partner up with established influencers and create a sponsorship deals
o Sign up for TikTok Ads and pay to advertise to a targeted audience
Snapchat has about 382 million monthly active users. About 71% of Snapchat users use it only or mostly for peer-to-peer messaging, and about 60% of the interactions on the platform are between close friends. Despite these numbers, developing an effective Snapchat marketing strategy is proving to be difficult for many businesses. This is because many marketers are at a loss on how to implement an effective strategy on a platform that has millions of daily users with an attractive demographic. As such, they fail to effectively track conversions.
Benefits of Snapchat for marketing
o Geo-filters allow you to reach local audiences more easily
o Drive traffic between your Snapchat account and company website using Snapcodes1. Drive traffic
o Boost engagement
o Build brand awareness
o Influence purchases
- Consumers can communicate directly with companies
o Commercial content on Snapchat feels less interruptive
- User-friendly: Very Easy to Signup
- Seamless Secure Messaging: The messages that you send through Snapchat is protected with the extreme layer of security
- Video Calls with a lot of Features: Snapchat is primarily being used for its video calling features and the sweetening functions such as Snapchat filters.
- A Great UI: Just like any other popular communication platforms there is, Snapchat also has a greatly designed user-interface to let you navigate throughout the application with ease.
Disadvantages of using Snapchat
- The audience of Snapchat is rather limited
- Snapchat doesn’t provide much in the way of analytics
- Stories on Snapchat are available for a limited time
- The Snapchat interface can be temperamental
- Snapchat videos are intended for vertical viewing
- There is no official resharing option
- The pictures shared on Snapchat don’t always disappear
- You cannot share content outside the platform
- A limit on the video length: max 60. second
Marketing strategy for Snapchat
- Offering coupon codes: one of the best tried-and-true tactics is advertising coupon codes on the platform
- Connect with influencers: connecting with influencers can make a huge impact on your Snapchat marketing
- Build anticipation: create hype as much as you can through anticipation and capitalize on it.
- Target the audience that’s there: your audience on Snapchat, may not be the same as your target audience in general. But, can be targeted as long as they are interested in your content and relevant to your brand
- Upload content regularly: snap stories are a good opportunity for this, especially for capturing what it’s like to work for your business
- Sponsor a Snap Ad
- Sponsor a lens: sponsored lenses are the most effective on the platform
- Design a sponsored geofilter